Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Meghan's Poem

Here is Meg's poem. I'm testing to see if when one of us posts something, everybody gets an email.

Taxes At Work!
Oh what a service is jury duty
The sitting all day makes for a sore booty
I wonder and ponder and think and consider
Why on earth do lawyers get paid to much to reconfig-er...
The facts and the witnesses and the rhetoric of law...
All to provide a case of justice for all.
While all the jury wants to do is simply go home
and no longer listen to the courtroom drone...
so come to a decision we must...
under God we trust...
our butts we bust...
all so that some young kid can walk out and hopefully no longer lust...
for the score that got him into this mess...
this distress...
now just confess
so we can all get on with it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meghan, your poem looks quite professional on the blog. Congratulations. You do a good job of focusing on two social problems. Too many people try to avoid jury duty. Also, I like your attention to the possibility of confession.
Loretta

Parrottpen1 said...

Meg,

I liked the line "In God we trust" therefore, "our butts we bust" Kind of sums up my daily routine lately

Dave P.

Jayne said...

Meg,
I never knew you were a poet. I'd like to see you write more "everyday poems." Let's all try to post a poem this week.

Anonymous said...

The passion behind Meg's poem makes me think of how the justice system works in general; it may not be perfect, but it's the best one in the world bar none. I like the inherent sarcasm displayed in this poem- makes me feel guilty that I ever "dissed" our system; therefore, I am proud of the one time my two-week service on a jury put one dangerous man away for good. A good poem is like a good movie- it makes you think critically about what is true for you. Bravo, Meg.
JuFrida

Meg said...

Thanks guys, I never really wrote a poem before. I guess I was just frustrated about the court case I could have been sitting in on. One thing I did realize though is that to be part of politics and even a little jury case like this one...you have to SHOW UP...and that it all sort of builds a collective mass of opinions that drive the political wagon on which we are all aboard. So, if you don't show up and even make an effort, your opinions get weeded out...which is funny b/c the court case involved weed!!! Seriously though, it was an interesting process. It's just frustrating to see how much MONEY and TIME are spent on such small things. But that is for another blog!